The Admissions Policy is determined by ‘The School Admissions Code’ and ‘The Admissions Appeals Code’ written by the Department for Education (DfE). Both codes are available here.
Procedures and Protocol
- All pupils admitted to the Academy have a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Educational, Health, Care Plan (EHCP).
- The Academy accepts pupils with a wide range and complexity of need, including Social, Emotional and Mental Health, Moderate Learning Difficulties and pupils on the Autistic Spectrum and with Speech Language and communication needs.
- The Academy Council of the Academy will receive formal requests for placements from the LA. The Academy will consider each pupil on their individual merits and with reference to relevant legislation to ensure we can meet their needs as defined by the statement/EHCP and that the Academy has the space, staffing, capacity and resources to accommodate the pupil within its existing operational organisation.
- Knowle DGE has different departments to meet the need types and ages of the young people, including an ASC department as well as a primary inclusion base at a partner mainstream schools
- Parents, carers, prospective pupils, their teachers and supporting professionals are advised to visit the Academy and are welcome to do so by prior appointment.
- Academy staff may visit the pupil’s school and will be accompanied by support as necessary.
- The Academy will offer taster visits, induction and individually negotiated transition packages depending upon pupil needs.